[uug] cache.manifest vs main.manifest iphone offline webapp

AJ ONeal coolaj86 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:01:50 MST 2011

First off: this is a great resource for created an offline app. It's simple.
It works. 'nuff said.
http://kentbrewster.com/backchannel/

Now, does anybody have a clue as to why I can't create an offline iphone app
when the name of the manifest file is cache.manifest?

In fact, when the manifest file is named cache.manifest it seems that all
caches are always deleted and the app downloads much slower.

I spent the last two hours trying to figure out why my app wouldn't load
offline.
I finally found a working demo app and then started rebuilding mine line by
line.
The only difference when it finally quit working again was the name of the
manifest file!!

I repeated renaming it over and over about 5 times just to make sure that it
wasn't that I didn't give it enough time to download, etc.
demo.manifest, main.manifest work
cache.manifest does not

Crazy!

So I'm curious if there's some sort of rule particular to the iPhone about
naming conventions for text/cache-manifest files.

P.S. It works in chrome with that name and that's what lots of other
tutorials use.

AJ ONeal